Katherine has been waiting all summer to share this recipe with you! It is her favorite thing to make with tomatoes.
4# red slicing tomatoes
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon salt
2 large knobs ginger, roughly chopped
juice of 2 whole limes
2 whole cinnamon sticks
1 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon ground or whole cumin
1 teaspoon ground or whole coriander
1 whole jalapeno, finely chopped
1. Roughly chop the tomatoes. Add to your biggest, widest sauce pan. Turn the heat on medium high.
2. Add all of the remaining ingredients on top of the tomatoes, stir carefully then bring to a boil.
3. Turn heat down so the mixture simmers enthusiastically. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until it has thickened to a jam-like consistency. This may take 2-4 hours, but the heating process can be stopped and restarted if needed.
4. Once the mixture is thick enough to spread, you may either freeze it in quart sized ziplock bags, or store it in a sealed container in your fridge where it will keep for a few weeks or more.
5. Use as a pizza topping, on crostini, pasta sauce, sauce for grilled vegetables, or anywhere you might use ketchup and want to impress your guests!