1. Remove stems from kale, if desired. The purple and green curly kales are best this way. Coarsely chop the stems.
2. Chop the leaves in a chiffonade style, or simply tear them into bite-sized pieces.
3. Place about 1" of water in a saucepan and put a steamer basket in. Add kale stems, then cook on medium high heat until the water has been boiling for a minute or so.
4. Add kale leaves and place lid on pot. Allow to boil for 1-2 more minutes, then test for doneness. The leaves are still bright green and not dull when they are steamed and not overdone.
5. Season with any one of the following or a combination: lemon pepper, olive oil, salt and pepper, lemon or lime juice and salt, soy sauce, sesame oil and sesame seeds.