Make your favorite tart crust, or follow this recipe:
1 ¼ cups all purpose flour, plus more for rolling
½ teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons frozen or cold butter, cut into chunks
1 egg yolk
3 tablespoons ice water, plus more if necessary
- Combine flour and salt in a food processor and pulse once or twice. Add butter all at once; process until the mixture is uniform, about 10 seconds. Add the egg and process for another few seconds.
- Put the mixture in a bowl and add ice water; mix with your hands until you can form the dough into a ball, adding another tablespoon or two of ice water if necessary. Form into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and freeze for 10 minutes or refrigerate for at least 30 mins.
- Sprinkle a countertop with flour and put the dough on it; sprinkle the top with a little flour. Roll with light pressure from the center out, until it’s about 2” wider than the diameter of your pie plate.
- Move the dough to your pie plate by folding it into quarters and gently placing it in the plate, then unfold and press. Use a knife to cut the ragged edges, then decorate the edge as you wish. Refrigerate for about an hour before filling, or freeze for a half hour.
For the tart:
2 large tomatoes, about 1 ½ pounds
1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs like basil, cilantro, sage, thyme or oregano
¾ cup goat cheese
¾ cup grated cheese of your choosing
¾ cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 375F. Slice the tomatoes into rounds and trim off the stem scar.
- Mix the goat cheese with the grated cheese, cream and egg.
- Put some cheese mixture into the bottom of your prepared tart crust. Layer tomato slices on top. Add another cheese layer, then finish with more tomatoes. Sprinkle with extra grated cheese if desired.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, until the cheese is slightly browned on top. Remove from oven and cool on a rack for a few minutes. Slice and serve warm or at room temperature.